5 Elephant Yard, Kendal, Cumbria
5 Elephant Yard, Kendal, Cumbria
The market town of Kendal is situated in south Cumbria, 20 miles north of Lancaster, 50 miles south of Carlisle and approximately 70 miles north of Manchester. The town lies approximately 6 miles from Junction 36 of the M6 motorway and adjacent to the west coast main railway line.
Kendal, known as ‘The Gateway to The Lakes’ enjoys a significant tourist trade throughout the year and has a residential population of approximately 28,000 (2001 Census) and with a catchment area of in excess of 50,000 people.
The retail unit occupies a prime trading position within the highly successful Elephant Yard – a thriving retail sector in the heart of Kendal. Elephant Yard boasts some of the leading high street retailers including Boots the Chemist, Next, Monsoon, Laura Ashley, Peacocks, Claire’s Accessories and Costa Coffee. Elephant Yard is managed as a fashion retail centre and is situated only 100m from the Marks & Spencer superstore.
Unit 5 is a modern purpose built double fronted retail unit providing accommodation over two floors. The ground floor comprises an open plan fully carpeted sales area with high quality internal slat wall fit out and suspended ceilings throughout. There is direct access to the rear service goods yard, a disabled toilet and office also located to this floor. An internal staircase leads to the first floor which provides a large stockroom, with Decksian shelving; a staff kitchen and a separate male and female WC facility.
The accommodation is served with electric heating and air conditioning throughout and benefits from burglar and fire alarm systems, stock theft prevention system, internal CCTV cameras, audio speaker system and an intercom for deliveries.
The unit is separately metered for electricity and water and benefits from a high quality and friendly on site management service. This includes CCTV, external music & advertisement and a versatile goods yard. In addition to this, Elephant Yard boasts a peak season monthly foot fall of 330,000 people and an annual figure for 2010, grown year on year from 2001, in excess of 3,491,000 million people.
We understand the premises provide the following approximate measurements:
Ground floor sales 307.49m² (3,310sq ft)
Internal sales width 10.40m (34.12 ft)
Sales depth 24.14m (79.20 ft)
Ancillary Ground Floor 4.82m² (52sq ft)
Ancillary 1st Floor 108.82m² (1,171sq ft)
The premises are available by way of a new Full Repairing & Insuring lease by way of a service charge for a number of years to be agreed and at a commencing rental of £85,000 per annum exclusive. The rent will be subject to 5 yearly upward only rent reviews.
There is a service charge levied to recover the cost of the management and upkeep of common areas of Elephant Yard.
All figures quoted are exclusive of VAT where applicable.
We understand from the VOA website that the premises have a Rateable Value of £67,500.
The current Uniform Business Rate is 47.9p in the pound, which would equate to rates payable per annum of approximately £32,333 exclusive.
Prospective tenants should check the exact rates payable with South Lakeland District Council – Tel: 08450504434.
Each party to bear their own legal costs in the preperation and settlement of the lease documentation together with any VAT there on.
The property is available to view by prior appointment with the Carlisle Office of Edwin Thompson LLP. Contact:
John Haley, [email protected]
Tel: 01228 548385
Edwin Thompson for themselves and for the Vendor of this property, whose Agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are set out as a general outline only for the guidance of intending purchasers and do not constitute, nor constitute part of, any offer or contract.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, plans, reference to condition and necessary conditions for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact, but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to their correctness.
3. No person in the employment of Edwin Thompson has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatsoever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Agents, nor into any contract on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for loss or expense incurred in viewing the property or in any other way in the event of the property being sold or withdrawn.
5. These particulars were prepared in March 2017.h
Prime Retail Premises To Let
Well Located Ground Floor Unit in Thriving Retail Sector
GF sales of approximately 3,310sq ft
Surrounding occupiers include Boots, Next, Monsoon, Costa Coffee, Peacocks and Laura Ashley
Rental – £85,000 per annum exclusive