A Charming and Substantial Hall Premises To Let/May Sell with the benefit of rental income
Cecil Hall/46a Cecil Street, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA1 1NT
£15,000 per year
|Price||£15,000 per year|
The property is situated on Cecil Street, in the heart of Carlisle City Centre. Carlisle lies close to the Scottish Border and adjacent to Junctions 42, 43 and 44 of the M6 motorway network. It is also on the main west coast Virgin Glasgow to London Euston rail line and has good access east to Newcastle, including Newcastle airport, along the A69 trunk road.
Carlisle is the county town and situated at the northern end of Cumbria. The City has a population of 75,306 with a wider area population of 107,524 (2011 Census) and is the main administrative and retail centre for Cumbria.
Cecil Street runs adjacent to the A6 Botchergate. Linking via Tait Street, which in turn provides a road link into Carlisle City’s main retailing area, with the train station just a quarter of a mile to the north-west. The A6 London Road also connects to Junction 42 of the M6 motorway circa 3 miles to the south-east and Warwick Road is 0.1 miles to the north providing access east to Junction 43 of the M6 and the A69 approximately 2 miles away. The surrounding area provides a range of uses including residential, commercial, retail and leisure. Englishgate Plaza is immediately to the south-west and Cumbria House the new Cumbria County Council Headquarters is approximately 800 metres to the south-west.
Cecil Hall comprises an attractive, imposing red brick former church arranged over two floors and originally constructed in 1859. The building boasts classic Victorian architecture with tall arched windows and doors beneath a mainly pitched slate roof and is flanked by two stone spires.
Internally, the main hall provides a large double height space with a unique layout in the style of the York Shambles and eight separate ‘shops’, with the opportunity to let out individual stalls within the building or to re-arrange to open plan accommodation. The shops were previously let out to antique type retailers as well as a restaurant benefitting from a premises licence. To the rear of the main hall are the WCs and storage.
The lower ground floor comprises a self-contained retail unit currently occupied by a hair salon arranged with modern open plan studio space and a separate beauty room and WCs. The tenant can be retained or alternatively vacant possession can be provided with the appropriate notice.
The property has mains supplies of gas, electricity and water and is connected to the mains drainage and sewerage systems. The property is heated by a new combination boiler which supplies radiators to both floors. The services have not been tested and prospective tenants/purchasers should check with the relevant service providers to satisfy themselves of the connections available.
The premises provide the following approximate gross internal areas:
Lower Ground Floor (Salon) 243.39m² (2,620sq ft)
Upper Ground Floor 252.64m² (2,719sq ft)
Total approximate Gross Internal Area 496.03m2 (5,339sq ft)
The hall premises are available on a new lease and at a rental of £15,000 per annum exclusive.
Alternatively, the freehold of Cecil Hall as a whole is available with the benefit of the ground floor income of £8,160 per annum at an asking price of £225,000 exclusive or the whole of the property may be available with vacant possession, further details on application.
It should be noted that our Client is not obliged to accept the highest or any offer without prejudice and subject to contract.
It is understood that the property is not registered for VAT and VAT will not be payable on the rental or purchase of the premises.
It is understood from the VOA website that each shop unit within the main hall is separately assessed and mostly fall under the small business rate and void business rate threshold. The lower ground floor has a Rateable Value of £11,750. Prospective tenants/purchasers should contact Carlisle City Council for the potential rates payable and in line with any proposed use of the building – Tel: 01228 817000.
ENERGY PERFORMANCE CERTIFICATE
An Energy Performance Certificate has been commissioned for the premises and a copy will be available to download from the Edwin Thompson website.
Each party is to bear their own legal costs in the preparation and settlement of the lease/sale documentation together with any VAT thereon.
The property is available to view by prior appointment with the Carlisle office of Edwin Thompson LLP. Contact:
John Haley – [email protected]
Ben Wilde – [email protected]
Tel: 01228 548385
Edwin Thompson for themselves and for the Vendor of this property, whose Agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are set out as a general outline only for the guidance of intending purchasers and do not constitute, nor constitute part of, any offer or contract.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, plans, reference to condition and necessary conditions for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact, but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to their correctness.
3. No person in the employment of Edwin Thompson has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatsoever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Agents, nor into any contract on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for loss or expense incurred in viewing the property or in any other way in the event of the property being sold or withdrawn.
5. These particulars were prepared in November 2017.
• City Centre and accessible location
• Attractive hall split into separate ‘shambles’ shops and benefitting from a premises licence
• Hall accommodation available at a rental of £15,000 per annum exclusive
• The lower ground is let to Pazazz hair salon at a rental of £8,160 per annum
• Freehold available at an asking price of £225,000