Former Resource Centre & Library Building, Milbourne Street, Carlisle, CA2 5XB
The University of Cumbria’s former Library and Resource centre is situated within a self-contained site on Milbourne Street, adjacent to the River Caldew a short distance to the west of Carlisle City Centre and adjacent to the A595 Castle Way, the main arterial route traveling east to west in Carlisle.
The City of Carlisle has a residential population of 75,000 and an estimated catchment population of 235,000. As well as being the dominant shopping location, it is also the administrative centre in Cumbria and the Borders. Carlisle is based on the Virgin Rail Link between Glasgow and London Euston. Newcastle International Airport is approximately one hour away reached via the A69.
The A595 provides access west to Wigton Road, the Cumbria Infirmary and the north west coast and east to the A7, one of the main routes traveling through Carlisle to the city centre. The A7 north leads to Kingstown and Junction 44 of the M6, 4 miles away and the B5299 travels to the south east and Dalston, 4 miles away. Carlisle Central Train Station and the city centre are a short distance to the east and south east.
The surrounding area is a mixture of commercial, residential and retail. A new Sainsbury Superstore has recently been developed a short distance to the north west where there is also a large McVities Factory and the Cumberland Infirmary. Devonshire Walk car park with over 350 parking spaces offering pay and display and contract permits is approximately 100 metres to the north east.
The property provides a three storey, modern office building that was constructed in 2002 as a library and resource centre for the University of Cumbria. Internally, the property is arranged at ground floor with a large reception, storage, office accommodation, kitchen and WCs.
The first and second floors are accessed via a feature rear glass atrium with stairs and lift and provide predominantly open plan accommodation with further WCs. The offices have suspended diffused lighting and are heated and cooled via modern chill beam system.
Externally, there is a dedicated car park for approximately 8 vehicles plus disabled space, cycle rack and there are well attended gardens to the rear adjacent to the River Caldew. The entrance benefits from a ramp and electronic fob entry system.
It is understood that the property provides the following approximate net areas:
Ground Floor 314.93m² (3,390 sq ft)
First Floor 363.24m² (3,910 sq ft)
Second Floor 416.10m² (4,479 sq ft)
Total Approx Net Internal Area 1,094.27m² (11,780 sq ft)
The VOA website confirms that the property has a Rateable Value of £67,000 in the current 2010 Rating List. The 2015/2016 Uniform Business Rate is 0.493 equating to approximately rates payable of £33,031 per annum. Prospective purchasers/tenants should liaise directly with Carlisle City Council Rates Department to verify the exact rates payable – Tel 01228 817200.
Offers are invited for our Client’s freehold interest with a guide price of £975,000 exclusive.
Alternatively, the premises may be available to lease on a full repairing and insuring basis and for a term to be agreed – further information upon application.
Please note that our clients are not obliged to accept the highest or any offer without prejudice and subject to contract.
All figures quoted are exclusive of VAT where applicable.
Each party to bear their own legal costs in the preparation and settlement of the sale/letting documentation together with any VAT thereon.
The property are available to view strictly by prior appointment with the Carlisle Office of Edwin Thompson LLP. Contact:
Tel: 01228 548385
Edwin Thompson for themselves and for the Vendor of this property, whose Agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are set out as a general outline only for the guidance of intending purchasers and do not constitute, nor constitute part of, any offer or contract.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, plans, reference to condition and necessary conditions for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact, but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to their correctness.
3. No person in the employment of Edwin Thompson has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatsoever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Agents, nor into any contract on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for loss or expense incurred in viewing the property or in any other way in the event of the property being sold or withdrawn.
5. These particulars were prepared in August 2015.
Three Storey Modern Commercial Building
Excellent Access to Carlisle City Centre
Approximate Net Internal Area 11,780 sq ft with dedicated car parking and landscaped external area
Freehold for sale
Guide Price – £975,000 exclusive