Office/ Leisure/ Retail/ Development Opportunity - Greenlaw Town Hall, The Square, Greenlaw, Duns, Scottish Borders. TD10 6UD
Guide Price £125,000
**Closing date set – 12 noon Friday 21st April *
Greenlaw with a population of approximately 650 is situated on Blackadder Water in the foothills of the Lammermuirs around 7 miles to the south west of Duns on the eastern side of the Scottish Borders. The village is within commuting distance of Edinburgh which is approximately 38 miles north and benefits from good road links to the north and south via the A697 trunk road.
The Town Hall (or County Hall as it was) is located in a commanding position within the Square to the centre of the Village. The Buildings grandeur reflects Greenlaw’s historic status as the County Town of Berwickshire at the time it was constructed. The County Town of Berwickshire was subsequently transferred to Duns in 1904.
Facilities in Greenlaw include a fine Church dating back to 1675, a primary school, a Public house, two village stores, a fish and chip shop, pharmacy and local butchers. Other businesses in the village include Blackadder Caravan Park, a Building contractor, a Joinery contractor and an embroidery Factory.
The impressive building was completed in 1831. The building was shortlisted in the 2006 BBC television series Restoration Village. Though it did not win, the exposure created led to the involvement of the Scottish Historic Buildings Trust who took forward the campaign to secure the restoration of the building in 2010.
Greenlaw Town Hall is a magnificent Grade A Listed Building of ashlar construction set in a prominent position to the centre of Greenlaw. The building is of a Greek Revival Style with features including a symmetrical classical design with central Ionic portico and raised dome supporting pedimented pavilions.
The hall was designed in 1829 by architect John Cunningham, a local architect born in the nearby village of Leitholm. The building was reputedly funded by Sir William Purves Hume-Campbell, sixth Baronet and Third Earl of Marchmont to serve as the new county buildings. Following a short time in New York John Cunningham designed the Castle Inn Hotel. The Castle Inn, now a private house and offices positioned directly opposite compliments the architecture of the Town Hall.
Following original occupation as the offices serving the local government of Berwickshire, more recent uses have included occupation as a Community Centre in the 1960s, use as a swimming pool in the 1970s and an antique sales room. After a period of dereliction at the turn of this century the building was extensively restored and refurbished by Scottish Historic Buildings Trust in 2010. This £1.9 million renovation project included conversion of the wings to either side of the building into well-appointed office suites complete with kitchen and WC facilities with the impressive reception and main hall to the centre of the building being retained.
The property provides a highly flexible accommodation offering considerable scope for a multitude of alternative uses within a commanding roadside position.
Subject to planning, alternative use potential may include offices, a function hall/ hospitality (there is a temporary licence permitting occupation for up to 250 people for events and functions), studios, residential redevelopment, retail uses, doctors surgery, treatment rooms, holistic therapy centre, spa or similar.
The accommodation comprises:
Ground Floor: Grand Reception with access to east and west pavilions with double doors opening out to the main double height hall. Each of the pavilions are designed so that they can be occupied on a self-contained basis. They can be separately accessed from the north.
First Floor: Landing/viewing gallery overlooking main hall, steps up to the cupola.
Basement: Providing storage.
The accommodation within each of the pavilions mirrors itself providing:
Ground Floor: Entrance hall, rear lobby opening on to disabled access ramp, kitchen, three offices, two wcs.
First Floor: Two offices.
The subjects have been measured in accordance with the RICS Code of Measuring Practice (current edition), to provide the following areas:
Main Hall 221.71 sq m (2,397 sq ft)
East Pavillion 116.80 sq m (1,257 sq ft)
West pavilion 116.80 sq m (1,257 q ft)
The Rateable Value of 1 and 2 West Pavilion have been assessed to £2,750 effective from 01-Apr-2011.
No Rateable Value has yet been ascribed to the East Pavilion or the Main Hall. This will presumably be assessed on occupation.
Under the Small Business Bonus Scheme (Scotland) the subjects may be eligible for Rates Relief for 2016/17. For businesses with a combined rateable value of up to £10,000 (combined rateable value of all business’s non-domestic property in Scotland) up to 100% relief is understood to be available within the current financial year. On the basis of the Listed Building Status there should be no rates liability whilst the subjects are vacant. Further details available from the Business Rates Team at Scottish Borders Council. Tel: 0845 3000 341
Mains water, electricity, and drainage.
Interested parties considering re-development proposals for the subjects are advised to discuss proposals with the Area Planning Officer of the Development and Regulatory Services Department of Scottish Borders Council.
Energy Performance Certificate
Assessed to Energy Performance Rating Band G.
Offers should include: The identity of the purchasers; the price offered; source of funds; clear details of any conditions attached to the offer; proposed timescale for conclusion of missives, completion and payment.
A closing date may be set for offers. Please note that only those parties who formally notify their interest will be informed of the closing date. Interested parties are advised to notify the selling agents of their interest as soon as possible. The sellers reserve the right to sell privately and are not bound to accept the highest or indeed any offer.
Any prices are exclusive of VAT. The subjects are elected to Vat. VAT will be payable on the purchase price at the prevailing rate.
Strictly by appointment with the sole agents:
Edwin Thompson LLP, Chartered Surveyors
76 Overhaugh Street
Tel: 01896 751300
Fax: 01896 758883
Email: [email protected]
**Closing date set – 12 noon Friday 21st April *
Magnificent Grade A Listed Building of ashlar construction
Prominent position to the centre of Greenlaw
The Buildings grandeur reflects Greenlaw’s historic status as County Town of Berwickshire
Extensive £1.9m restoration and refurbished by Scottish Historic Buildings Trust in 2010.
Well-appointed office suites complete with kitchen and WC facilities
Impressive reception and main hall to the centre of the building retained