Land at Rowrah Goods Yard, Rowrah, Cumbria, CA26 3XJ
The development land comprising the former Rowrah Goods Yard and the intersection of the train lines at Rowrah in West Cumbria. Rowrah is a small village in the District of Copeland, 7 miles east of Whitehaven, 6 miles north of Egremont and 2 miles north of Frizington. The village is situated on the A5086 which travels north where it meets with the A66 and Cockermouth, approximately 10 miles away and south to the A595 which is one of the main arterials route in the west of Cumbria, circa 4 miles away.
Whitehaven provides a range of local retail and supermarket facilities and is a local administration centre serving a wide rural area including the West part of the Lake District. The town has a well-developed Harbour and Marina which is now predominantly occupied by Leisure Craft. The town has benefited from substantial inward investment in recent years to improve the Harbour and Marina facilities and the waterfront in general. The area has benefited from significantly inward investment from Britain’s Energy Coast including a new 100,000 sq ft office building in Whitehaven town centre for approximately 1,000 staff from the nearby Sellafield Nuclear Power Station.
The subject site is situated in the centre of Rowrah with residential properties located directly to the north. Access is taken from Rowrah Road (A5086).
The subject land extends to an overall approximate site area of 1.74 hectares (4.30 acres) and is divided into two main parts via a former railway bridge. The land to the east of the bridge provides approximately 0.87 hectares (2.16 acres) being of a relatively level gradient and bounded to the north and east by allotments and to the south by the National Cycle Network Route 71, part of the C2C Cycle route from Whitehaven to the North Sea. Land has been secured to access the site directly from the Rowrah Road in the north east corner of the site.
The land to the west of the railway bridge may also be included within the sale for potential development or assist with Section 106 Requirements, further information upon application.
The land is allocated for housing in the 2001-2016 Copeland Local Plan and suggests the site is suitable for the development of around 35 dwellings. The site is being put forward for the Site Allocation Policyﾒs Plan Preferred Options Consultation for further allocation in the Copeland Local Plan 2013-2028. Further information is available from Copeland Borough Council tel: 0845 0548600.
The developer will be responsible for any necessary assessment of ground conditions and will need to satisfy themselves that development can take place safely.
Interested parties are advised to make their own enquiries into the services available on site and it will be the responsibility of the purchaser to determine the exact position of existing services and to arrange for any modification/connection of these to the development in consultation with the relevant services providers.
Offers are invited for the freehold interest of the land with vacant possession.
Please note that our clients are not obliged to accept the highest or any offer without prejudice and subject to contract.
All figures quoted are exclusive of VAT where applicable.
Each party to bear their own legal costs in the preparation and settlement of the sale documentation together with any VAT thereon.
The site is available to view by prior appointment with the Carlisle Office of Edwin Thompson LLP. Contact:
John Haley, [email protected],
Joe Ellis, [email protected]
Tel: 01228 548385
Edwin Thompson for themselves and for the Vendor of this property, whose Agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are set out as a general outline only for the guidance of intending purchasers and do not constitute, nor constitute part of, any offer or contract.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, plans, reference to condition and necessary conditions for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact, but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to their correctness.
3. No person in the employment of Edwin Thompson has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatsoever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Agents, nor into any contract on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for loss or expense incurred in viewing the property or in any other way in the event of the property being sold or withdrawn.
5. These particulars were prepared in April 2015.
Brownfield site extending to 0.87 hectares (2.16 acres)
Residential development land included in the Copeland Local Plan, allocated for residential use
Offers invited for the freehold interest