Land at Strand Street
Land at Strand Street, Maryport, Cumbria CA15 6AW
This attractive potential development opportunity is situated on Strand Street in the West Cumbrian town of Maryport, in the North West of England, 6 miles north of Workington and 28 miles to the west of Carlisle. Maryport is a town with a population of 11,262 (2011 Census), developed on the North West Coast. Historically, in Victorian times, Maryport was an industrial centre with an iron foundry and ship yards, as well as a number of coal mines and now has two main industrial estates supporting local occupiers and light businesses as well as a number of museums, a town centre and conference facilities.
Maryport has bus connections to a number of towns and villages in Cumbria including Carlisle, Workington, Whitehaven and Cockermouth and has a railway station on The Cumbrian Coast Line providing rail connections to Carlisle, Workington and Barrow-in-Furness with onward journeys available to Glasgow, Newcastle, Lancaster and Manchester.
The subject site is situated on the western side of Strand Street adjacent to a number of residential dwellings. The River Ellen and harbour are immediately to the south with Maryport town centre a short distance to the south east. Access is taken directly North Quay which links with King Street, Senhouse Road and the A596 approximately 800 metres to the south east and being the main road from Maryport travelling to the east and south of Cumbria.
The development site extends to approximately 0.28 hectares (0.69 acres) and comprises vacant and cleared land situated within an attractive location offering views over the Solway Firth. The site forms a relatively level plot and is bounded by Strand Street to the east, Wallace Lane to the north with the Solway Firth beyond, North Quay and the harbour to the south, commercial, leisure and educational facilities beyond to the south east and existing residential schemes in the immediate surrounding area.
The site formerly had the benefit of outline Planning Permission (Allerdale Borough Council Ref No: 2/2010/0529) for the development of 29 apartments and 5 townhouses.
Scheme proposals and supporting site surveys are available to view on the Allerdale Borough Council Planning website using the above reference number and interested parties should speak directly with Allerdale Borough council regarding development proposals.
The purchaser will be responsible for any necessary assessment of ground conditions and will need to satisfy themselves that development can take place safely.
It is understood that mains electricity, water, gas and the mains drainage/sewerage network are available on Strand Street. It is the responsibility of the purchaser to determine the exact position of existing services and to arrange for any modification/connection of these to the development in consultation with the relevant services providers.
Offers are invited for the freehold interest or alternatively a Joint Venture may be considered.
Please note that our Client is not obliged to accept the highest, or any offer, without prejudice and subject to contract.
All figures quoted are exclusive of VAT where applicable.
Each party to bear their own legal costs in the preparation and settlement of the sale documentation together with any VAT thereon.
The site is available to view from Strand Street. All enquiries to the Carlisle Office of Edwin Thompson LLP. Contact:
Tel: 01228 548385
Edwin Thompson for themselves and for the Vendor of this property, whose Agents they are, give notice that:
1. The particulars are set out as a general outline only for the guidance of intending purchasers and do not constitute, nor constitute part of, any offer or contract.
2. All descriptions, dimensions, plans, reference to condition and necessary conditions for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact, but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to their correctness.
3. No person in the employment of Edwin Thompson has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatsoever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Agents, nor into any contract on behalf of the Vendor.
4. No responsibility can be accepted for loss or expense incurred in viewing the property or in any other way in the event of the property being sold or withdrawn.
5. These particulars were prepared in January 2017.
Potential residential development opportunity, subject to planning
Previous planning permission granted for the development of 29 residential apartments and five townhouses
Situated in the West Cumbrian town of Maryport overlooking the harbour
Offers invited for the freehold interest or Joint Venture considered