Salvation Army Premises, St Nicholas Street, Carlisle, Cumbria, CA1 2EF
Asking price in the region of £175,000
The property is situated on St Nicholas Street on the southern fringe of Carlisle City Centre. Carlisle lies close to the Scottish Border and adjacent to Junctions 42, 43 and 44 of the M6 motorway network. It is also on the main west coast Virgin Glasgow to London Euston rail line and has good access east to Newcastle, including Newcastle airport, along the A69 trunk road.
Carlisle is the county town and situated at the northern end of Cumbria. The City has a population of 75,306 with a wider area population of 107,524 (2011 Census) and is the main administrative and retail centre for Cumbria.
St Nicholas Street is accessed directly from the A6 Botchergate which in turn provides a road link into Carlisle City Centre with the main retailing area and train station just half a mile to the north-west. The A6 London Road also connects to Junction 42 of the M6 motorway circa 3 miles to the south-east. The surrounding area provides a range of uses including residential, commercial, retail and leisure. St Nicholas Gate Retail Park is immediately to the south-east with occupiers including Halfords, Asda, Poundland and B&M.
The premises comprise two interconnected single storey red brick hall buildings originally constructed in the 1930’s and with a single storey wooden frame extension added around the 1970’s. The two main halls which are currently used for various community groups have pitched slate roofs and the extension has a flat felted roof with profile clad elevations. Glazing is predominately single with security grills installed externally.
Internally, the accommodation is accessed via a central main foyer constructed in circa 2005 which is used in place of the two original hall entrances. The foyer provides a generous and light entrance leading to a main Worship Hall, secondary Community Hall, kitchen and rear offices/WCs. To the rear of the main hall is a band room, WCs, storage and an administration office.
The extension is interconnected to the Community Hall and provides a lounge/TV room as well as WC facilities.
It is understood that the property has mains supplies of gas, electricity and water and is connected to the mains drainage and sewerage systems. The services have not been tested and prospective purchasers should check with the relevant service providers to satisfy themselves of the connections available.
It is understood the premises provide the following approximate gross internal areas:
Main Worship Hall 150.95m² (1,642sq ft)
Community Hall 103.12m² (1,110sq ft)
Lounge 58.95m² (635sq ft)
Ancillary 158.18m² (1,703sq ft)
Total 471.20m2 (5,072sq ft)
Asking price in the region of 175,000 exclusive for the freehold interest with vacant possession.
It should be noted that our Client is not obliged to accept the highest or any offer without prejudice and subject to contract.
It is understood that the property is not registered for VAT and VAT will therefore not be payable on the purchase of the premises.
The property is currently used as a place of worship and is not rated for business rate purposes. Prospective purchasers should contact Carlisle City Council for the potential rates payable and in line with any proposed use of the building – Tel: 01228 817000.
Each party is to bear their own legal costs in the preparation and settlement of the sale documentation together with any VAT thereon.
The property is available to view by prior appointment with the Carlisle office of Edwin Thompson LLP. Contact:
John Haley – [email protected]
Tel: 01228 548385
Edwin Thompson for themselves and for the Vendor of this property, whose Agents they are, give notice that:
- The particulars are set out as a general outline only for the guidance of intending purchasers and do not constitute, nor constitute part of, any offer or contract.
- All descriptions, dimensions, plans, reference to condition and necessary conditions for use and occupation and other details are given in good faith and are believed to be correct, but any intending purchasers should not rely on them as statements or representations of fact, but must satisfy themselves by inspection or otherwise as to their correctness.
- No person in the employment of Edwin Thompson has any authority to make or give any representation or warranty whatsoever in relation to this property or these particulars, nor to enter into any contract relating to the property on behalf of the Agents, nor into any contract on behalf of the Vendor.
- No responsibility can be accepted for loss or expense incurred in viewing the property or in any other way in the event of the property being sold or withdrawn.
- These particulars were prepared in April 2016.
Upon The Instructions of The Salvation Army
- High profile and accessible location
- Two interconnected large hall buildings
- Potentially suitable for alternative use, subject to planning
- Asking price in the region of £175,000 exclusive