Morland Hall Estate
Morland, Penrith, Cumbria, CA10 3BB
Morland Hall was built in 1861 as a private residence for Francis Atkinson, one of the leading Westmorland figures of the time. Unusually, it was constructed in brick brought from Lancaster rather than local stone. Completed in 1861 Morland Hall was always about prestige. Its early life was one of luxury serving as a country house for local gentry until WWII. The outstanding building was abandoned after a short spell as a red cross hospital in 1945 at which point the roof slate was sold. The subsequently decline was rapid and considerable and the house was a ruin, lost in rubble and foliage with no upper floors and substantial trees growing out of the former dining room.
The property was then purchased in 1999 and over the ensuing 4 years the buildings were completely refurbished, winning a conservation design award in the process. The properties are well insulated, double glazed and were equipped to a high standard offering a total of 21 beautifully appointed bedrooms, together with an outdoor swimming pool, jacuzzi hot-tub and gym, set in 15 acres of an ancient woods and parkland. The property also benefits from a fitness room, a separate office and self-contained accommodation for an on-site caretaker.
Three of the properties interconnect with Morland Hall, the magnificent principal residence, which has 9-bedrooms a fine drawing room, lounge, dining room and large kitchen. There are 8 double bedrooms, 1 twin bedroom, 4 bathrooms and outside, a garden and large terrace.
A 4-bedroom property, sitting between Morland Hall and Torbock House, and features a dining room, kitchen, sitting room and also with a garden.
With 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, sitting room, dining room, kitchen and patio.
This detached property has 4 en-suite bedrooms. It also has a galleried sitting room, living room, kitchen and large private terrace and was the licenced wedding venue on the Estate.
Office, fitness room and self-contained staff accommodation with sheltered outdoor heated swimming pool to the rear.
Gardens & Grounds
The gardens and grounds extend to approximately 15 acres, which includes ancient woods and parkland and spectacular views of the surrounding scenery. There are terraces and private gardens to the properties and ample parking across the site and grounds.
9 bedroom house
4 bedroom house
3 bedroom house
5 bedroom house
Office, fitness room and self-contained accommodation for an on-site caretaker
Outdoor heated swimming pool
Set in 15 acres of woods and parkland
Mains electricity and water are connected to the property. Private drainage. Oil fired central heating and a Biomass boiler.
The property is available due to bereavement and the business is now closed. The properties remain fully equipped for holiday let use, uses previously including weddings, private parties, team building and sporting venue. The Estate would make a formidable offering in the leisure market.
Offers are invited in the region of £2,200,000 for the freehold of the whole.
Available for each of the properties and available to download.
Eden District Council, Town Hall, Penrith, Cumbria CA11 7QF Tel: 01768 817817
From the south, leave the M6 at junction 39 (Shap). Pass though Shap village and take the second turn right, signposted Morland. On entering Morland, follow High Street then turn right towards Well Lane. Continue along Well Lane and then turn slight left on to Lower Gate. The property can be clearly seen approximately 0.8km on the left-hand side.
Strictly by appointment through the Agents, Edwin Thompson Property Services Limited.