Former Court House, Wallace Green, Berwick-upon-Tweed, TD15 1EB
A Grade II Listed former Courthouse and Jail which is believed to have been constructed between 1842 and 1846 to a Thomas Brown design. The building is of Jacobethan style influenced by elements of both the English Renaissance and Elizabethan periods.
Gross External Area (including stables to the rear): 2,008 sq m (21,606 sq ft)
Site area: 0.160 ha (0.40 acre)
The former Courthouse and Jail is situated on Wallace Green, a mixed use area to the north of Berwick-upon-Tweed town centre.
Berwick-upon-Tweed is located in Northumberland in the north of England. It has a population of approximately 14,000. The town is situated equi-distant between Edinburgh to the north and Newcastle-upon-Tyne to the south (approximately 65 miles each way).
Berwick-upon-Tweed is served by the A1 trunk road providing good access to the national roads network and the main line east coast railway network with regular services to Edinburgh and Newcastle-upon-Tyne (approximately 45 minutes each) and London (approximately 3 ½ hours).
Although a relatively small town, Berwick is regarded as the principal market town serving north Northumberland and the eastern borders (a catchment in excess of 42,000) offering a full range of retail, leisure and financial services. The town also has a significant tourism sector which accommodates an influx of seasonal visitors with the towns population reported to effectively double during the summer months.
There are airports at both Edinburgh and Newcastle-upon-Tyne providing domestic and international scheduled flights.
Berwick-upon-Tweed benefits from an active commercial harbour. The port can accommodate vessels of up to 115 metres in lengths and drafts of up to 4.6 m.
The subjects are within the Berwick Heritage Conservation Area, adjacent to the Elizabethan Ramparts and the Parish Church dating to the Commonwealth Period. It is within close proximity to the 18th Century Barracks.
A Grade II listed former Courthouse and Jail which is believed to have been constructed between 1842 and 1846 to a design by Thomas Brown the leading designer of Scottish Prisons for the period.
The building ceased use as a courthouse in around 1878 and was subsequently converted into offices and continued to be occupied as municipal buildings by Northumberland County Council until recently.
The buildings are considered well suited to continued office use or conversion to a range of alternative uses which may include residential, boutique hotel or care home, or similar, subject to obtaining all necessary consents.
Main Building: A substantial detached three storey building with an imposing symmetrical frontage incorporating turreted towers to each side of the front elevation. The building is of traditional stone construction faced in dressed ashlar under pitched and hipped roofs clad in slate. Prominent features include a castellated parapet wall to the front elevation; a number of tall hexagonal stone chimney stacks.
Stable Block: Part single storey part one and a half storey along the rear boundary of the site, which is believed to have been constructed in around 1890. This building is of traditional stone construction under pitched roofs clad in slate. It includes an open fronted garage to the northern end.
Grounds: There is a tarmacadam yard between the main building and the stable block with access off Wallace Green to the north. The access is understood to be shared with the offices to the north.
Net internal area 896 sq m (9,641 sq ft)
Gross internal area 1215 sq m (13,074 sq ft)
Gross external area 1560 sq m (16,786 sq ft)
Gross external area 448 sq m (4,821 sq ft)
E& oe Please note these measurements are from file and are approximate only.
The site area extends to approximately 0.16 ha (0.40 acres) or thereby.
The purchaser/ developer will be responsible for any assessment of ground conditions.
All mains services are presumed to be available.
It is the responsibility of the purchaser to determine the exact position of existing services and to arrange for any modification/connection of these to the development in consultation with the relevant services providers.
Method of Sale
For sale as a whole with vacant possession by Private Treaty
Energy Performance Certificate
Listed Building: No Energy Performance Certificate understood to be required.
Offers should include: The identity of the purchasers; the price offered; source of funds; clear details of any conditions attached to the offer; proposed timescale for conclusion of missives, completion and payment.
A closing date may be set for offers. Please note that only those parties who formally notify their interest will be informed of the closing date. Interested parties are advised to notify the selling agents of their interest as soon as possible. The sellers reserve the right to sell privately and are not bound to accept the highest or indeed any offer.
Value Added Tax
Any prices are exclusive of VAT. The subjects are not understood to be elected to VAT.
By appointment with the sole agents.
Edwin Thompson, Chartered Surveyors
44-48 Hide Hill
Tel. 01289 304432
Fax. 01289 302027