Government has launched a consultation on energy efficiency in let residential property as part of their Clean Growth Strategy to have as many homes as possible at EPC C by 2035 where ‘cost effective, practical and affordable’. The proposals include:
- Raise the minimum EPC to band C for new tenancies by 2025 and for existing tenancies by 2028.
- Raise the cost cap on the Landlord’s investment to £10,000 (inc. VAT) per property. Only investment made since 2023 will count towards this spend.
- Introduce a ‘fabric first’ approach to encourage improvements to the fabric of buildings such as insulation and draught-proofing before heating and window upgrades.
- Increased compliance and enforcement.
- We expect some sort of affordability exemption to be putin place.
This has the potential to entail a high level of investment and we recommend that properties are looked at now for potential improvements and grant funding opportunities to deliver these including Green Homes Grant (see opposite) and ECO3. Edwin Thompson can advise and assist with grant applications and building regulations consents. Please contact Jennifer Neill in Berwick-upon-Tweed on 01289 304432 or email@example.com for more information.